Carbomer is a thickening agent often used to control the viscosity of products and create gels.
Carbomer is a thickening agent that helps control the viscosity and rhealogy (flow) of cosmetic products. It also helps distribute and suspend insoluble solids into liquid, and prevents the oil and liquid parts of a solution from separating.
Carbomer has the ability to absorb and retain water, and can swell up to 1000 times its original volume when dispersed in water. This ingredient is included in a wide range of personal care products such as styling gels, facial moisturizers, shampoos, eye creams, cleansers and scrubs, etc.
- Category: Gums & thickeners
- Ingredient Function: Thickener, gelling agent, emulsion stabilizer, suspending agent
- Used in: Creams, lotions, gels, conditioners, shampoos, hair styling products, cleansers, exfoliants, masks
- Solubility: Swells in water
- Appearance: White to off-white fine powder
- Odor: Slightly acetic odor
- Derived From: Synthetically derived
- Part(s) Used: N/A
- Preserved With: No preservative
- Country of Origin: USA, Belgium
- Method of Extraction: Polymerization
- Processing: Polymerization, drying process
- Great for use in gel-based hair styling products, masks, moisturizers, and more.
- Can be used as a suspending agent when insoluble solids such as glitter, clay, etc. are added to an emulsion.
- A thickening agent that can be used in gels as well creams, lotions, and other emulsions.
This product is vegan.
Recommended Usage Rate: 0.02 - 1%
Carbomer 980 is highly hydrophilic and tends to form clumps so care needs to be taken when adding to water, oil or alcohol. Be sure to neutralize as quickly as possible as thickening is almost instant.
Adding to water: Add very slowly to rapidly agitating water taking care to avoid mixing air into the water. High shear mixers should be avoided. Ideally, it should be the first formulation ingredient added.
Adding to oil: Add slowly while mixing until a smooth homogenous dispersion is obtained.
Adding to Alcohol: Must be added to an alcohol/water blend with high agitation until fully dissolved.
How To Store
Store in a dry, cool place in a tightly closed container. Avoid extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
International Nomenclature (INCI):
Not for internal consumption. For external use only.
Pregnant or lactating people or those with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to using product.
- Color: White to off-white
- pH: 2.5 - 3 in water
- Specific Gravity: ~1.4
Please note that our suggested usage instructions are intended to serve as a guide. Due to the unique nature of each ingredient, it is important to always research and consult with a qualified professional as needed, prior to use. Usage guidelines can change and you are responsible for adhering to local regulations. EWL cannot be held responsible for any harm caused due to the misuse of these ingredients.