Cetearyl Alcohol is a multi-purpose emollience booster and thickener that helps skin feel moisturized and smooth.
Cetearyl Alcohol is a great multi-purpose emollient boosting and thickening fatty alcohol. It is a mixture of cetyl and stearyl fatty alcohols derived from vegetable sources.
It is very effective for adjusting the balance of formula viscosity and thickness in addition to being a gentle emollient that helps to moisturize the skin and hair in both oil-in water and water-in oil emulsions.
It works in a wide variety of skin, hair and body care products, such as creams, lotions, shampoos and conditioners, etc., providing excellent texture and non-gelling viscosity for luxuriously smooth and indulgent products. When used to thicken shampoos, it may decrease the foaming ability, but helps create a richer, creamier lather.
- Category: Gums & thickeners, additives
- Ingredient Function: Emollience booster, thickener, skin conditioning
- Used in: Lotions, creams, shampoos, conditioners, cleansers, exfoliants, hair styling products, color cosmetics
- Solubility: Slightly soluble in alcohol and oil
- Appearance: White waxy flakes or pastilles
- Odor: Mild soapy odor
- Derived From: Palm kernel and/or coconut
- Part(s) Used: Kernel/nut
- Preserved With: No preservative
- Country of Origin: Raw material sourced from Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines, produced in USA
- Method of Extraction:
- A multi-tasking additive that helps thicken products in addition to adding moisture for the skin and hair.
- Cetearyl Alcohol helps improve the texture and emolliency of cosmetic products, and leaves a soft, smooth feeling on the skin when added to cosmetic products.
- Can be added to surfactant systems to produce a richer, creamier lather.
This product is vegan.
Recommended Usage Rate: 0.5 - 10%
Cetearyl Alcohol should be melted before use, or added to the hot water phase of a formulation.
It is effective for use in emulsions as well as anhydrous (water-free) formulations.
How To Store
Store in a dry, cool place in a tightly closed container. Avoid extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
International Nomenclature (INCI):
Cetearyl Alcohol Composition: 55 : 45 (C18:C16) Stearyl Alcohol : Cetyl Alcohol
Not for internal consumption. For external use only.
Pregnant or lactating people or those with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to using product.
- Color: White
- Specific Gravity:
- Melting Point: ~122°F
Please note that our suggested usage instructions are intended to serve as a guide. Due to the unique nature of each ingredient, it is important to always research and consult with a qualified professional as needed, prior to use. Usage guidelines can change and you are responsible for adhering to local regulations. EWL cannot be held responsible for any harm caused due to the misuse of these ingredients.