Dimethicone is a moisturizing silicone oil that improves the texture and slip of cosmetic formulations.
Dimethicone is a cosmetic grade silicone with minimal color and odor that offers conditioning and emollient properties in hair and skin care formulas. It is a fabulous anti-caking agent and is often found in pressed powder makeup.
Dimethicone is great for foam stabilization, and improves spreadability by adding slip and glide, and reducing greasiness in formulas. This product leaves a velvety, powder-like feel behind on the skin, and is especially beneficial in products geared toward oily skin.
- Category: Additive
- Ingredient Function: Skin conditioning, emollient, anti-caking agent
- Used in: Lotions, creams, serums, color cosmetics, facial and body oils, conditioners, hair masks, hair styling products
- Solubility: Dispersable in water and oil
- Appearance: Clear to slightly hazy pale yellow to amber liquid
- Odor: Nearly odorless
- Derived From: Synthetically-derived silicone
- Part(s) Used: N/A
- Preserved With: No preservative
- Country of Origin: USA
- Method of Extraction: Proprietary synthetic extraction
- Processing: Proprietary lab processing
- Alternate name: Polydimethylsiloxane
- Adds a velvety, powder-like finish to cosmetic formulations.
- Wonderful for use as an anti-caking agent in powdered cosmetics.
- Add to formulas to improve the texture and slip.
This product is vegan.
Recommended Usage Rate: 1 - 5%
Dimethicone can be added to the water phase of a formulation, and can be hot or cold processed.
In powdered products, it can be mixed in directly.
How To Store
Store in a dry, cool place in a tightly closed container. Avoid extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
International Nomenclature (INCI):
Not for internal consumption. For external use only.
Pregnant or lactating people or those with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to using product.
- Color: Pale yellow to amber
- pH: Not measurable
- Specific Gravity: Unknown
Please note that our suggested usage instructions are intended to serve as a guide. Due to the unique nature of each ingredient, it is important to always research and consult with a qualified professional as needed, prior to use. Usage guidelines can change and you are responsible for adhering to local regulations. EWL cannot be held responsible for any harm caused due to the misuse of these ingredients.