Phenoxyethanol is a highly stable preservative with no added parabens.
Phenoxyethanol is a preservative used in cosmetics and personal care products. It is effective at a broad range of pH values, and is not a formaldehyde-releasing agent. It is also non-reactive with other ingredients as well as with air and light.
Phenoxyethanol is active against gram-negative bacteria but weak against mold and yeast and therefore should be used with other preservatives or preservative booster. It is considered to be safe as long as it is used in formulas at 1% or less.
- Category: Preservative
- Ingredient Function: Preservative
- Used in: Lotions, creams, serums, toners, masks, shampoo, conditioner, hairstyling products, sprays, scrubs and polishes, color cosmetics
- Solubility: Water soluble
- Appearance: Clear, colorless, mobile liquid
- Odor: Nearly odorless to light characteristic odor
- Derived From: Phenol and ethylene oxide
- Part(s) Used: N/A
- Preserved With: No preservative
- Country of Origin: India
- Method of Extraction: Phenol and ethylene oxide reacted with crude phenoxyethanol
- Processing: Phenol and ethylene oxide reacted with crude phenoxyethanol, neutralized, filtered, distilled
- Mix with a preservative booster that guards against mold and yeast for optimum preservative stability.
- Globally approved and wonderful for use in international beauty lines.
- Phenoxyethanol is not pH dependent, allowing for formula flexibility.
This product is vegan.
Lead times vary for 55 gallons and up. Learn More
Recommended Usage Rate: 0.25 - 1%
Phenoxyethanol is stable at up to 185°F. It should be paired with a co-preservative that is effective against yeast and mold.
Although there is never a one size fits all solution for preservation, Tetrasodium EDTA often pairs well with Phenoxyethanol.
How To Store
Store in a dry, cool place in a tightly closed container. Avoid extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
International Nomenclature (INCI):
Not for internal consumption. For external use only.
Pregnant or lactating people or those with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to using product.
- Color: Clear, colorless
- pH: 5.5 - 7
- Specific Gravity: 1.1 - 1.11
Please note that our suggested usage instructions are intended to serve as a guide. Due to the unique nature of each ingredient, it is important to always research and consult with a qualified professional as needed, prior to use. Usage guidelines can change and you are responsible for adhering to local regulations. EWL cannot be held responsible for any harm caused due to the misuse of these ingredients.