Polysorbate 80 is a is an emulsifier that is used in a wide variety of cosmetic formulations, especially liquid formulations with oils added, such as essential oils. It is also a non-ionic surfactant. Also known as TWEEN80, it is a great inbetweener for other hydrophobic emulsifiers to help cover a wide range of oil in water and water in oil emulsions.
It is somewhat stronger than Polysorbate 20, but can be a little darker in color, and therefore cause some discoloration in your products. Polysorbates can make a final product somewhat hazy as well, with Polysorbate 80 tending to make products hazier than Polysorbate 20. We highly recommend storing any products made with Polysorbates in an opaque or amber glass container to disguise any potential color variation in your product.
- Category: Additive, emulsifier, surfactant
- Ingredient Function: Emulsifier
- Used in: Lotions, creams, serums, conditioners, shampoos, soaps, scrubs and polishes, cleansers, exfoliants, toners, room sprays, gels, color cosmetics
- Solubility: Water soluble
- Appearance: Clear pale yellow liquid
- Odor: Mild characteristic odor to nearly odorless
- Derived From: Corn, coconut, palm, some synthetic origins
- Part(s) Used: Corn derived esters of sorbitol, anhydrides from fatty acids, primarily lauric derived from coconut or palm
- Preserved With: No preservative
- Country of Origin: USA
- Method of Extraction: Ethoxylation with ~ 20 moles of ethylene oxide
- Processing: Ethoxylation
- A non-ionic, low foam surfactant that can be used as a dispersant as well as a solubizer of oil or fragrance.
- A water soluble emusifier perfect for adding essential oils to room sprays, toners, and perfumes.
- A stronger alternative to Polysorbate 20.
This product is vegan.
Lead times vary for 55 gallons and up. Learn More
Recommended Usage Rate: 1 - 20%
Polysorbate 80 can be added to the oil phase of your formula, and can be hot or cold processed.
If you are adding essential oils to your blend, we recommend mixing them at a 1:1 ratio with Polysorbate 80 and then adding the mixture to your water or alcohol base.
How To Store
Store in a dry, cool place in a tightly closed container. Avoid extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
International Nomenclature (INCI):
Not for internal consumption. For external use only.
Pregnant or lactating people or those with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to using product.
- Color: Pale yellow
- pH: ~7
- Specific Gravity: 1.08 - 1.09
Please note that our suggested usage instructions are intended to serve as a guide. Due to the unique nature of each ingredient, it is important to always research and consult with a qualified professional as needed, prior to use. Usage guidelines can change and you are responsible for adhering to local regulations. EWL cannot be held responsible for any harm caused due to the misuse of these ingredients.