Tragacanth gum is a natural gum used for thickening and stabilizing cosmetic formulations.
Tragacanth Gum can be used as an emulisifying agent and thickener for cosmetic formulations, including lotions, creams, and gels.
It is obtained from the dried sap of several species of the Astragalus plant, a family of thorny shrubs that thrive in semidesert regions.
The viscosity of this gum is stable in emuslions and gels with a pH of 4 - 8 but is at its most stable at a pH of around 2. Tragracanth Gum is one of the most acid-resistant gums, however it must be fully hydrated before adding the acids.
- Category: Gums & thickeners
- Ingredient Function: Gelling agent, thickening agent
- Used in: Creams, lotions, gels, conditioners, shampoos, hair styling products, cleansers, exfoliants, masks, sprays, color cosmetics
- Solubility: Water soluble
- Appearance: Off white to cream powder
- Odor: Nearly odorless
- Derived From: Tragacanth sap
- Part(s) Used: Sap
- Preserved With: No preservatives
- Country of Origin: Switzerland
- Method of Extraction: Heat treated and ground
- Processing: Heat treated, ground, sifted
- Stability at acidic pH levels makes this thickener ideal for acidic products such as certain masks, cleansers, exfoliants, etc.
- Can be used to help stabilize emulsions as well and act as a main emulsifier in certain formulations.
- Film forming abilities make Tragacanth Gum great for hair styling gels and creams.
This product is vegan.
Recommended Usage Rate: 0.2 – 3%
- Gels: 0.8 – 1.5%
- Stabilize Emulsion: 0.2 – 0.8%
- Suspension in Gels: 1.5 – 3.0%
- Suspension in Sprayable Solutions: 0.2 – 0.6%
- Thickening: 0.5 – 3%
How To Store
Store in a dry, cool place in a tightly closed container. Avoid extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
International Nomenclature (INCI):
Not for internal consumption. For external use only.
Pregnant or lactating people or those with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to using product.
- Color: Off white to cream
- pH: 5 - 6
- Specific Gravity:
Please note that our suggested usage instructions are intended to serve as a guide. Due to the unique nature of each ingredient, it is important to always research and consult with a qualified professional as needed, prior to use. Usage guidelines can change and you are responsible for adhering to local regulations. EWL cannot be held responsible for any harm caused due to the misuse of these ingredients.